When: Sunday, May 7, 2017 17:30 - Monday, May 8, 2017 21:00
Where: Valletta Campus, University of Malta
Towards A Europe of Hope , Healing & Hospitality
The Annual State of Europe Forum (#SOEF17) opens with a public celebration & procession from St. Paul’s to St. John’s to Upper Barrakka Garden on SUNDAY MAY 7, 17.30 - 20.30
The Forum, on Monday May 8, will be held in the Valletta Campus of the University of Malta.
The Opening Plenary will address the new realities shaping Europe since last year’s forum, with Brexit, the Trump election and reversal of US policy concerning Europe and Russia, plus the ongoing rise of populist influence in Europe. With contributions from Brigadier-General Arie Vermeij (RNLA/NATO, retired), George Weigel (US - video), Branislav Škripek, MEP (Slovakia) , Dr Katrin Camilleri (Malta) and others.
Seminars: three sessions of four seminars each will be held during the day under the themes of HOPE, HEALING and HOSPITALITY, addressing topics including:
• A way forward for Europe?
• Hope, love & NATO - defending the peace
• Europe and Africa: what does ‘loving our neighbour’ mean?
• Refugees and migrants: walls or bridges?
• The churches & politics: how can they interface?
• The economics of hope: what should we hope for?
• Nurturing the hospitable community - what will it take?
• Marriage and family - key to the sustainable society
• Hope and healing for creation
• Healing Europe’s festering wounds
• Educating for a relational Europe
The Closing Plenary will draw conclusions to the day’s deliberations, and a final address wil be brought by Her Excellency Marie Louise Coleiro Preca, President of Malta.